FAQ: Windows 10 and Pyware

General Discussion about Marching

Moderator:PywareTechSupport

greatcow95
FAQ: Windows 10 and Pyware

Post by greatcow95 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:14 am

Just like the Mac FAQ, look for Mr. Green :mrgreen: before each question.

:mrgreen: What is Windows 10?

Windows 10 is the newest operating system from Microsoft and it's pretty amazing. This is coming from a Mac guy also--Windows 10 is pretty nice!

:mrgreen: What are the system requirements for Win 10?

Basically if you can run Windows 8 on your computer, you can run Windows 10. This is not necessarily true for Windows 7. If you need more help than that, I will recommend the Wikipedia page here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_1 ... quirements as it gives a detailed list of what is required and recommended.

:mrgreen: Is there ANYTHING I need to know before upgrading?

There is one huge thing you need to do before upgrading to Windows 10--DEAUTHORIZE PYWARE.

If you don't do this one very crucial step, you will have to call Pyware support for help, especially if you've used all of your authorizations. For some reason, the upgrade will erase your authorization for Pyware, or at least it did for me. Your mileage might vary, but for safety's sake, deauth before upgrading. You can reauthorize Pyware once the upgrade is finished.

:mrgreen: I didn't read this and now my Pyware is borked AND I HATE YOU! :mrgreen:

Oh dear. Well, Pyware Dustin has your back. Here's what you need to do.

1. Open your file explorer.
2. Go to your C drive and then click ProgramData. If it's not visible, type c:/ProgramData and then press enter/return.
3. Find the Pyware 3D folder and DELETE IT.
4. Restart Pyware and activate.

If this doesn't solve it, you'll need to call them.

:mrgreen: What versions will work under Windows 10?

From my personal testing, Versions 7, and 8 will work under Windows 10. I'm just not sure about Version 6 and Win 10, as trying to install it was a fight that just knocked me out. If anyone knows how to get it working, let me know and I'll update the FAQ.

:mrgreen: I've upgraded, but everything was on the built-in administrator account and I can't access anything!!!!

Calm down. There's a way to fix this. However, know that by being on the built-in administrator account, all of the Microsoft app store stuff (including Edge, the IE replacement) won't even open. If you're all right with this, and I am, here is now to get that account back.

You will need to open the command prompt as an administrator. It should be buried within your menu and the regular command prompt will not work.

From there type the following exactly (include spaces):

net user administrator /active:yes

This should open up the built-in administrator account you used in prior versions of Windows.

:mrgreen: Can I screen record under Windows 10?

Yes! I like to use FRAPS. See the very next post in this topic on how to use FRAPS to record in Pyware.

Others use a program called BandiCam. You might even find one that works ever better than those! Your Mileage May Vary.

:mrgreen: Hey, thanks a bunch! You saved my butt.

You're welcome. If you'd like to you can follow me on Twitter (MilitaryDrills) or like me on Facebook (G S Bailey Drill Designs) or even click the Youtube link in my signature to subscribe. Or not. I won't be mad if you don't do it.
Last edited by greatcow95 on Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
I enjoy charting military drills. Let me know if you need any assistance with one of them.

Visit G S Bailey Drill Designs

Visit my Youtube page also!

greatcow95

Re: FAQ: Windows 10 and Pyware

Post by greatcow95 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:32 am

HOW TO: Screen Record using FRAPS for Windows

I literally slapped myself when I found out how ridiculously easy it is to work in FRAPS with Pyware. I honestly even like using FRAPS more than using QuickTime to record now. It's quite easy to use and produces great recordings.

YOU WILL NEED:

1. FRAPS, available here: http://www.fraps.com/buy.php This is worth the $37 US to get this program.

2. Pyware, not running yet, but you do need it. ;)

3. You might need DirectX ( http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download ... aspx?id=35 ), but I don't think it's necessary since Pyware is OpenGL.

HOW TO DO IT:

1. Install FRAPS! And because you bought it, it doesn't record in 30-second intervals! Isn't that awesome?

2. Open FRAPS. We're going to look at the settings for a second. Once you set the preferences, you won't need to do it again.

3. Click GENERAL and look at the check boxes. Uncheck the box that keeps FRAPS on top of all other windows.

4. Stay in GENERAL. FRAPS will only record the Real View window unless you check Monitor Aero Desktop. That records everything, but you can crop that later in a video editor. Normally, you just want the Real View window, but if you ever need everything, you click that option.

5. Click FPS and set your corner for the number to appear. If you don't want the number, then click Hide overlay. NOTE: this number is never recorded and is only there as a helpful item. I keep it up just in case the frame rate drops for some weird reason.

6. Click MOVIES. Click 30 fps. More frames is a lot of overkill here and makes you use more horsepower to run FRAPS. Make sure "Record Win 7 Sound" is clicked and not the external option.

7. Stay in MOVIES. Click where it says F9 and assign recording a key you never use in Pyware. Mine is /

8. You're ready. Minimize FRAPS (don't close it!) and open Pyware. Open your drill file you wish to record.

9. Again, unless you did what was in #4, it will only record the Real View window. You will see a green number in your Real View window. Take note of this.

10. You can resize the Real View window if you'd like before recording. Set the yellow pin to 0. Also make sure to give yourself several beats afterward by moving the red pin several beats after your last page tab marker (the last beat of the song). You'll thank me for that later!

11. Hit your FRAPS hotkey. The green number will turn red, and that means you're recording.

12. Play the file.

13. Once you're finished, hit your FRAPS hotkey again to stop recording.

14. Check it out in your FRAPS recording folder by going back to FRAPS, clicking MOVIES, and then click the view button.

15. If you need to edit further, go to the video editor of your choice (i.e. Windows Movie Maker or Final Cut Pro). Since I tend to give extra beats for some padding, it means I have to edit and cut those parts out. Plus, this gives you the chance to reduce the file size as FRAPS makes large file sizes.
I enjoy charting military drills. Let me know if you need any assistance with one of them.

Visit G S Bailey Drill Designs

Visit my Youtube page also!